Thursday, September 24, 2009

Never a Bad Day at the Flea Market

Well, it is true that we went to the Flea this time looking for furniture for the new house. But unlike the last time there was no furniture to be had in our price range. Or that matched our taste, for that matter. But did that mean that we came away empty-handed? Of course not!

Not when there were ceramic toads to be had! This one is a small replica of one that sat in my yard when I was a kid. I'm not sure where my mother found hers, but I always liked the way it seemed to welcome amphibians to our yard. I'm thrilled that there is now one welcoming amphibians to our yard.

Unfortunately, we live in a desert, but that didn't stop us from buying a huge jungle plant to keep the toad company. This orchid, apparently a V. coerulea, is supposed to produce a large purplish bloom. I don't expect that I will ever get it to do that. Right now I'm just concentrating on not killing it.

So, no new old furniture for us this time. But there's always next month!

7 comments:

  1. That frog is great! And I really like the orchid. (I hear they are not that hard to grow if the roots can get air, but Tasha destroyed the only one we ever had - I guess they taste good too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That's why I hung this one outside. All my kitties are inside, and they love to snack on plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who needs furniture when you can have frogs? :) I loved it when I had a yard that attracted toads, and it was in the high desert. Actually, I've known a lot of toads in desert areas, including Southern California, but of course they came for water. We'd find them in the water pump boxes on the ranch my family owned, because the areas were damp with dripping pipes. In Colorado, I'd find them in our garden. I've heard that they'll come to overturned clay flower pots if you can knock a "frog door" in the side without completely breaking the pot. I'm sure there's an easier way, but an overturned whatever with a door that will let the toads in and out and keep the earth's moisture should help. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a frog in my front garden bed too. My mom always had frogs when we were growing up too. Funny how we do that, replicate those good memories of our past into our present lives.

    ~Kat~
    H20works

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. you'll find AMAZING stuff at the FLEA.. We don't get much FLEA markets in Singapore.. we are often surrounded by commercialized goods.

    Glad you bought those frogs. They will make a nice touch to your house!

    God Bless
    Alice
    http://piggylittleshop.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you're doing a fine job of not killing the orchid!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...