Saturday, June 11, 2011

Heroes Con - 2011! And a Whale Shark!

Mr. Niles and the Monster
HeroesCon was over almost a week ago. I think I may have finally recovered.

Gabriel and I had a great time. This was our third year visiting Charlotte, and what can I say? They really know how to throw a Con! We got to meet up with some of our very favorite people, and met some new folks as well. For example, I was thrilled to finally meet Steve Niles. One might have expected us to have crossed paths before since he also lives in Los Angeles, is a friend to animals, and frequents the same comic book shop (House of Secrets), that I do. Ah, well. I guess that's what cons are for! Steve is obviously a very cool guy since he bought one of my very favorite sketches from Gabriel: Frankenstein's Monster, the furry vest iteration.


Gabriel, about 25 sketches into the show.
We had a great location in Artist's Alley, right next to Jeff Parker and down the row from Tom Fowler. Watching Tom break out the paints and get down to work always amazes me.

I spent a lot of time at the table, but I did get away long enough to purchase a copy of Think of the Children! from Christian Sager and E.C. Steiner. I had already read it online so I thought I kew what I'd be getting. In fact, the physical product is a strange thing of beauty. The cover is actually sculpted and the book is actually bound. Click on Christian's name to see a photo on his blog.

We were fortunate enough to spend time with Robert Wilson and his wife Tiffany Monhollon, who I was pleased to learn shares my love of thrifting. Chris Roberson and his wife Allison are always entertaining company, and I was happy to tell her in person how much I've been enjoying her new blog.  Dave Wachter was there too, all the way across the show floor from us but not far enough away to stop rumors of his impressive table set up from reaching us. I only wish I could be half as organized! It goes without saying that his art is awfully impressive too.

Giant Cat Head Sees What You Do
One thing I really like about Heroes is catching up so many comics fans after talking to them on Twitter all year. It's nice when someone comes by your table and you know the names of their pets and kids. That's something that just doesn't happen at a huge con like San Diego.

Charlotte is kinda quirky, in a way I like. You say you want giant crafty heads sitting in the park across from the Convention Center? Well, okay. Throw in some hoola hoopers and we've got a party.


After the show I was able to steal a couple of days to visit one of my very closest friends, Tricia who runs the lovely shop Upcycled Stuff. It was wonderful to spend time with her, and the icing on the cake was a trip to the Georgia Aquarium. Heroes Con and a whale shark? Yes! No wonder it took me a whole week to recover.
Now, that's a BIG shark

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed our city! Next time you should check out the Bechtler if you have time, which is the modern art museum on the other side of the park with the wacky cat heads.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...