Monday, March 19, 2012

The Wondercon Wrap-up

Not a comic book, but I love it.
Wondercon is finished! Gabriel Hardman and I spent the last two days in Anaheim, signing and selling stuff, but for once I took the time to walk around a bit and explore. There were cool things to see despite the fact that the weather the first day had little kids whimpering and crying about "hurricanes" and "the wrath of the gods". Personally, I was ready to sacrifice to the traffic gods by the time we finally found parking.

Once we got inside it was great to see so many familiar faces and to finally put faces to some twitter handles. The con was BIG, but not big enough to fill the entire convention center. We soon learned that two other conventions were also underway, one about volleyball and one filled with cheerleaders. This made for some very odd cultural mash-ups in the common areas, as you might imagine. 

Hey, extinct tapir! 
I was lucky enough to nab one of Sawdust Bear's last little squid-slug guy figurines on Sunday, after multiple people told me I should find her booth. I also picked up William Stout's new dinosaur book. And look, he drew me an extinct SoCal tapir! 

At long last I picked up a physical copy of the special edition of ELDRITCH!, the (otherwise) digital comic by Drew Rausch and Aaron Alexovitch. I wish I could get a good photo of the cover Drew created for it, but it seems to deny my camera. Check out the link instead to see what all the fuss is about!

Special thanks to Matt Maxwell of Highway 62 Press for sharing a table with us all weekend. If you haven't read his books STRANGEWAYS and THE THIRSTY, you're missing out. Weird westerns both,   and full of smart writing.

Now, back to work for a few days. Then we're off to the Emerald City Comicon, where we'll be at Artist Alley table F-22, where Gabriel will be doing sketches and we will be selling and signing stuff. More details about that next time!

4 comments:

  1. We're getting our first Comicon (that I know of) this Spring. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Which one are you going to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ottawa. Don't know which day. It's not up to me but the real boss...my 14yr old.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...